Welcome to my May 2015 Accountability & Budget Recap post.
Spoiler Alert: MAY SUCKED
This post is broken into two sections: Budget and Debt Eradication.
Budget Accountability for May 2015:
- Ummm…. we managed to stay under budget in gas, though we drove for about 26 hours? Yeah, that’s the best I can do with this.
- Food: It wouldn’t have been so bad if we hadn’t been traveling, sure, but we still have a lot of work to do here. (See below for more info re: traveling.)
- Slush Fund: We just ended up having a lot of little things to pay for this month. Lowe’s appears on here because I was given a tree at a conference this month (a tree! a baby one, but still!) and I wanted to plant it in a pot. That required soil and a pot, which H got for me. The refund is from when he returned the extra soil and the extra pot I didn’t need. The other Lowe’s transaction is from when H had to go buy stuff to repair our door. Fun times. We don’t have a sinking fund for those types of purchases, so they were bundled up here. Personal care also comes out of this fund. My mother technically paid for my pedicure by giving me cash when I charged it, but I ended up needing the cash for other things, so I had to keep it here. Parking is from L’s ballet recital, the chocolate was a special Mother’s Day gift to me (which should have come out of our sinking fund, now that I think about it… oh, well). Anyway.
- Business Expenses: These were technically reimbursed, but I put all of that money back into H’s business expenses sinking fund and counted these in our budget because that sinking fund needed some love!
- We took a spontaneous trip to see friends. It was an 11-hour drive (though made longer by stopping, traffic, and traveling with a small one), so we stayed overnight on the way down and the way back up. I paid with Credit Card points (from our Chase Sapphire Card) for the first night, and the second night came out of our Travel Fund (which is actually meant for our upcoming trip to France, but whatever). We spent money on the trip, we helped pay for some groceries (yay for our friends who are amazing cooks!) and didn’t eat out, and we had a fantastic time. BEACH and ICE CREAM and FRIENDS and SUPER MARIO BROS. It was awesome.
- We went totally over our budget (by $344), which makes this the 2nd month this year so far. I’m not excited about that. I wish we had done better. I could have fudged more numbers, shifted money from our sinking fund to cover some costs and removed them from our budgeted categories, but that felt like cheating. The fact is, we went over, and we went WAY over. I’m owning it and hoping we can improve.
Debt Eradication for May 2015: $1,884.00
- $1,193.52 extra payment sent to Loan 1 & Loan 2
May 2015 Net Income: $971.35
Snowflaking: $289.84 (all of this went into our Student Loan Debt Eradication Fund – if it was prior to the middle of the month, it became part of the big supplemental payment we made; if it was after the middle of the month, it’s still hanging out in the account to be used in June)
- $245.22 – leftover from our April paychecks (we snowflake any amount over $5000)
- $44.20 – consigning! I can’t believe I’ve been able to make something every month since February.
- $0.42 – interest income on our checking accounts (every little bit helps, you know)
- $0 (January)
- $56 (February) – this was unusually high!
- $20 (March) – woot!
- $80.31 (April) – yay!
- $44.20 (May) – whee!
2015 Mintly Snowflaking Goal Progress:
- $110.01 (January)
- $929.75 (February)
- $649.58 (March)
- $534.50 (April)
- $289.84 (May)
2015 Snowflaking total so far: $2,513.68
Life Accomplishments this Month:
- Visited friends we love.
TL;DR: Over budget by over $300 = not awesome. Still had positive net income, which keeps me from beating myself up over this too much. How did you do in May?