Happy St. Paddy’s Day, and welcome to the March 2015 Budget Check-In!
Note: We use Mint.com to track our finances.
The Woohoo! Category includes:
- Staying under budget so far….
- We got a note from L’s after-school program saying that because of the snow in February, they aren’t charging us ANYTHING for March! So I immediately moved $100 over to our Debt Eradication Fund. The $45 in here is from the babysitter we had back in February… she still hasn’t cashed her check? (I really thought she would over spring break….)
- We’re doing great on gas so far, especially since we took a trip to VA this past weekend to see my parents! (It was about 13 hours in the car roundtrip… oof!)
- I’ve sent over $2800 to our student loans (out of the Student Loan Debt Eradication Fund) in one lump-sum extra payment earlier this month, then I did another payment online today (over $400)! But, now that I think about it, that’s not really related to the budget, is it?
In the Whoops! Category:
- We went to VA this weekend, as I said above. My parents paid for the hotel rooms, but we paid for a great dinner out on Friday night – it was almost $100 with the tip, but totally worth it! I had a drink called the “Devereaux”: Bourbon, St. Germain, fresh lemon juice, prosecco…. YES. But…. we’re dangerously close to our limit on food. Again. So much for my “let’s see if I can keep the budget down mentally but not actually commit to it for real” tactic. (We all knew that would fail anyway, I know, I know….) We have food for this week, but that will leave us with just about $80 for the last two weeks or so… eep. I’m just hoping we come in under-budget in a couple of other areas….
- We’re cutting it pretty close on our Slush Fund for being only halfway through the month. I can’t think of any other upcoming expenses offhand, but I’m sure there will be some. There always are, right?
– H booked a flight (that will be reimbursed) for a business event, but that’s not noted in the budget. It does mean that we may be cutting it close for our net income (I REALLY don’t want to have a negative net income this month!). We did, however, get partially reimbursed for the AirBnB stay we booked on our credit card (still waiting for one other person to pay us). Hopefully that will balance things out by the end of the month.
– I’m not sure why our landlord hasn’t cashed his rent check yet?
– I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing our debt go down at the end of the month when I plug the numbers into the spreadsheet. YAY!
That’s all for the moment… In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, has anyone out there read Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle? (That’s not an affiliate link, btw.) One of my favorite books!